Thursday, April 27, 2006

Clarity and Focus

The work was done and it was time for a bike ride. The day had been a nice one... the warmest of the year so far at 63 degrees, and a mostly blue, sunny sky. Very summer like.

I almost didn't go. As nice as it was, there was a breeze... more like a medium wind. I hate wind! I know, I'm such a light weight! But, other than that, the day was a perfect one. I had missed my morning run, so that doubled my motivation. Plus, new duds to wear! Off I went.

I rode into a headwind. My average speed was about 14 mph. Man, do I SUCK!! My quads were burning, I was spinning, and still averaging 14 mph. Thoughts of doubt invaded my mind. How could I ever be a decent triathlete if I couldn't even ride my bike faster than 14mph? This multisport thing was turning out to be a lot harder than I thought it would be. I am such a LOSER! Why can I not do this???

I got my answer in the form of a grinding sound coming from my back wheel. Upon closer inspection, I found that my brake caliper had shifted and had been rubbing HARD on the rim for the past 5 miles! Grit had finally caused enough noise to catch my attention.

Issue fixed, I proceeded on my way and averaged 17mph for the rest of the ride. Now THAT I'LL TAKE!! Much better! Yea!

I was thinking about a recent Zencast, a podcast about Buddhism, I had listened to. The message was this: If you allow doubt to enter your mind, it will cloud your vision. It very difficult to achieve your goals when your mind is full of doubt. Clarity and focus often brings success.

Now, the most important part of the ride came when deciding how far to go and where to turn around and head for home. Then I saw "the hill". Yes, that would be my turn-around... not at the hill... but at the top of the hill. If Iron Wil could be tough enough to ride in the wind, up the hills and get blown into a ditch, then so would I! (Hopefully with the exception of being blown over.)

Clarity and focus got me up to the top, and beyond a ways, where I turned for home.

Bring on the wind! Bring on the hills! What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger... and I'm alive and kicking!

3 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

Barb, I could help but comment. You are no loser. Even if you really were biking only 14mph. Just being able to do all 3 sports, even if you aren't leading the pack is a huge accomplishment. You are a triathlete if it is in your head and in your heart. Not because you nail a certain speed or a certain time. And being a triathlete makes you a winner in my book.
My 2 cents. Keep up the good work! I'll be your east coast training partner!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

I'm up for it! I'm using your 1/2 marathon time as my goal for my up coming 1/2. Hope you don't mind, but I needed a target!

6:56 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Of course I don't mind. I am honored, in fact. I'd be beyond thrilled if you beat it. And you totally can.

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home