Saturday, April 22, 2006

Measuring Up

Tomorrow is my first race of the season. Actually it's a Fun Run... a 5k. But for me, it's a race... a chance to validate all the miles I've run since last years race. My first opportunity of the year to see if I can measure up to my vision of what a runner should be... what a triathlete should be... what I never thought I could be.

I started running (jogging or slogging is probably more descriptive) just over a year ago. In January 2005, I ran my first mile. It was on my treadmill, as most of my miles have been. It was a real, no walking breaks, running mile. The first of my life.

I still remember the enormous sense of accomplishment I felt. Even though I had divorced myself from a 24 year cigarette addiction 6 months earlier, that was the moment that I finally felt truly free of it. It was then that I gave myself permission to be someone better that who I had been.

I trained 3 1/2 months for my first race. My reward was a 3rd place finish in my age group. (Yes, there were more than 3 people in my age group!) I got to stand on a podium and receive a little white ribbon. Yes, it was kind of corney, but highly motivating.

So, a year has gone by and I'm back to run the race again. Honestly, I don't need a ribbon to feel like I've won. I'm truly only racing against myself. I do have high expectations... I hope I measure up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home