Thursday, April 20, 2006

Type A


I used to pride myself at how easy going and laid back I was... how I never got angry & never raised my voice. There were very few things that I had formed a strong enough opinion about to get riled up over. Everything was cool. Whatever you want, makes no matter to me. I'll just come along for the ride.

I've taken plenty of personality tests, usually disguised as people management tools, during my years as a Corrections Officer and a Home Depot Manager. People were divided into 4 groups. A, B, C and D. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses. I was usually a B or C. I don't really remember which now, but I was the one who wanted to be part of the team. Group accomplishment, group failure. I felt that diversity of the group made us stronger. And because we were B's (or C's), we didn't need a defined leader. We functioned like a school of fish, moving in unison, thinking in unison... some sort of perfect zen of group interaction. Since I never had the opportunity to work exclusively with a group of B's (or C's... whatever) my fishy Zen theory may be all washed up, so to speak.

One thing that I can state as fact is that I was never an A. Never Ever! In fact, I had a secret and sometimes not so secret loathing for those Type A people. It was one of the few opinions I had formed and knew to be correct. Type A's had a whole slew of personality traits that made them impossible to work with or work for, let alone live with! "Type A is characterized by the impulse to be overly critical and demanding, even contemptuous of imperfection, in the self and others." Ahh yes, those warm, fluffy Type A's. No wonder I didn't like them. They embodied everything I detested. I felt rules and policies were meant to be 'guidelines' in decision making, which is why I was constantly at odds in the black and white world of employers and co-workers.

Over the past few years, I seem to be more Type A than B, C or D. When did this happen? How could I undergo such a transformation, and just now notice? When was it decided that there was a correct way to mow the lawn? I don't know, but there is... a correct way that is... and I think I'm the only one who knows how to do it... correctly. There is also the loading of the dishwasher, the feeding of the dogs, the placement of the proper clothes items on the proper shelves in the closet and strict adhearance to all traffic laws, including the white arrows painted on the asphalt in parking lots. It all seems so...so, uhh.... black and white.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home