Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Crazy Days

I'm going to take a quick break from triathlon to do a family update. These last two weeks have been very difficult. My dad was in the hospital 3 times and my mom once, for an extended stay.

My big brother was able to fly in from Colorado to help out... in fact, he does more than help out, he takes over, takes charge and lets me take a break! He always comes when things get really bad with the folks, so even though he isn't here very much, he really does get the worst of it!

After my tri two weeks ago, I had a message on the phone from him saying that he was taking dad into the Emergency Room and when he finished with him, was going to go home and get mom and take her in also! Of course, they both wanted to go to different hospitals, so he couldn't take them together! They fixed dad up and sent him home. Then he went back in the next day for surgery! Mom ended up being admitted. She was there for 9 days and finally just got transferred to a nursing home yesterday. Hopefully with some rehab, she will get stronger and be able to go home soon. There were days when I had to really stop and think who I was visiting and which hospital they were in. On the good side, once they were both in the hospital, we knew they were being well taken care of, so we could really relax.

Then came the worst news of all... last Monday we got the results of my partner Ursula's PET scan. It showed that her cancer had progressed, and the tumors in her bones and liver that had at one point disappeared, were now active again. It's no wonder... due to issues with her kidneys, for the last three months, she has not been able to get the "miracle drug" that we've credited with her improvement. Now that she has had a progression of the cancer, she is officially off the drug company's test study and has had to start a new regimen of medications.

With the bad comes some good. Her new medications are all oral, so no more weekly 4 hour IV drip! For the last 2 1/2 years, we've had to plan everything around her chemo schedule, but as long as she is on these drugs, we have a lot more freedom to make plans.

Throughout all this, was one of the RV Park's busiest weeks of the year, we had a tree crew out to trim and remove some trees, two plumber appointments, and our little old dog seemed to be failing and I didn't think she'd make it through the weekend. Can you believe it? I think I posted a couple of weeks ago about everything happening at once... and I really meant it! (BTW, the dog pulled through and is back to her old self... literally)

I was even able to get two triathlons in during this time. Thank goodness for brick workouts!

5 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

Hang in there Barb. Wish I could offer more than all the good karma and good vibes I have saved up for you. You are a rock for everyone over there, it should seem. Take care of yourself too. I'm thinking about you. *hugs*

11:56 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Gosh Barb, you've got a lot on your plate. It's amazing how you're keeping it all together and still managing to maintain your workouts. Thank goodness for brick workouts, brothers, and a little bit of endurance, right? Hang in there, Barb, the goods and bads come in waves. --Elizabeth

2:06 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Workouts? What's that? :) I've raced three weeks in a row... hopefully about to make it four and I'm lucky to run the course mid-week, but that's about it. Was going to run this weekends course this morning but it was POURING down rain! I'm such a wus!

8:20 PM  
Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Barb,

That's a lot of stuff thrown your direction. My thoughts are with you, your Dad, and Ursula.

I wish I could do more than offer just words.

Please keep me posted.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. Isn't exercise great for allowing us to relieve stress. Make sure you're taking care of yourself in the midst of taking care of everyone else.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home