Saturday, June 03, 2006

In Retrospect

First off, thank you for your comments of support. It looks as though we might be getting some temporary assistance for my mom. (Although it has yet to materialize.) Dad is out of the hospital, but goes back in on Monday for more surgery. My brother is a dear, and is really providing the majority of their care for the week he is here. This is a huge weight off my shoulders since I've had a million things going on at the RV park and with Urs' doctors.

Now that I've got my wits back in tact, let me briefly go back and revisit last weekends half marathon. I didn't even realize it at the time, but the day after the race was the 2 year anniversary of my last cigarette! It seems unbelievable that I smoked for 24 years! Because I quit, I am now able to have this new life, filled with athletics, challenges and new friends. I am achieving goals that I never thought possible! Now, I immediately look to see what's next on the list to check off. This life is so much more fulfilling than the one I had.

I also wanted to comment on all the genuinely friendly people I met while running through the streets of Coeur d' Alene last weekend. I had numerous people approach me before and during the race and strike up a conversation. Being somewhat of an introvert, I don't find myself particularly approachable, but I must have had a friendly face, or maybe it was the excitement of the race, nervous energy, or maybe Urs' Life Is Good hat that I commandeered before I left the house. Regardless, I met some nice people along the way that really added to the race experience.

At about mile 10, I met up with a nice fellow, and we ran for probably a quarter mile together. We chatted about the beauty of the turn-of-the-century lake front houses we were passing, the rain, and how running on a treadmill was much easier than running on the road. (Ya, don't I know it!) Then, without even knowing it, he gave me the greatest compliment of my short running career. "You are a much stronger runner than me. I can't match your pace, so I'm going to drop back. Have a great race!" And with that, he dropped back and I sped ahead, perfectly comfortable in my 9:45 cadence. The thought that I would ever be... Could ever be a stronger runner than anyone else on the planet, was something of a victory in itself.

The last mile of the race was incredibly difficult. I had picked up the pace in the previous couple of miles, and the pain and fatigue really grabbed hold on mile 13. I had recently listed to an interview of (I think) Peter Reid who said that he counts footsteps to dull the pain when he gets tired. Counts to 20 over and over again. Tried it... didn't work for me. Several times, I tried singing songs... but I just couldn't find one that fit perfectly with my pace.

Last year, I would have started walking... but this year, I'm stronger. Stronger physically... yes, but more importantly, I'm stronger mentally. I know a little more about how to get my body to do things I never thought possible. Proof... here I am at mile 13 plus, searching through the mental file cabinet, trying to find that tidbit I filed away for the time I might need it. Ahhh... here it is, tucked away in the Q file, for quotes.

First I thought of a Lance Armstrong quote that I use often. "Pain is temporary. Quitting is Forever." Boy, ain't that the truth! I like that one, and I use it a lot. But next in the file cabinet I came across the words that had the biggest effect on me. "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" Prefontaine. And that... got me through the last half mile and over the finish line, strong to the end. BEEP!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home