Thursday, July 06, 2006

Driven

What drives me to do this crazy thing I do?
The question has been posed... by myself, as often as by others.

On the surface, it is a swim, a bike and a run... but each athlete has their own story, often making the race much more than a physical pursuit.

Sometimes we need to push ourselves to test our mettle. The pain and discomfort proves to us how alive we are... and how mortal. I think if it didn't hurt, the victory would be lessened.

Part of the prize is in not giving up... on yourself or your goal. It isn't about crossing the finish line, it's what happens before the finish line that is important. The journey, the ability, the gratitude.

Some days are hard, and others are harder... but had we wanted easy, we would have stayed home on the couch. The gift is when it all comes together, and for a brief moment in time, that at which we toil, becomes effortless.

To say I am a triathlete, only scratches the surface of what I've really become. Only those that share the title can understand the path to deserving it.

Some would say I should be satisfied to have achieved more than I ever thought possible... but I remain driven, because so much lies ahead.

4 Comments:

Blogger Isis said...

Great post; I needed that today.

(p.s. I love the "Adult Onset Athlete" term.)

4:42 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Barb, thanks for saying exactly what is in my heart too. You say it with eloquence. "it's what happens before the finish line that is important." AMEN.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Right on, Barb. Gosh, I'll need to read this one over and over!

9:24 PM  
Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

DANG, Barb!

That is an awesome post. I just printed it and taped it to my oldest daughter's (20 y/o) bathroom mirror.

It's posts like that one that has me hooked on blogs.

Geeze... you have me geeked up for this sport!

Stay tuned...

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home