Wednesday, August 16, 2006

First Speedwork

So... I've got my first speedwork training session under my belt. I was somewhat apprehensive, as I knew it probably wasn't going to rank high under pleasurable running experiences. In the end, it didn't kill me, and I 'm sure it will make me stronger.

It seems that triathlon is the perfect sport for us overly analytical Virgos. While I may not look forward to the painful effort required for speedwork, I am highly motivated by this new opportunity for athletic improvement. And... what gets me excited beyond belief (keep in mind, I don't get out much) is ALL the numbers I get to analyze after a speedwork session!

On any average running day, I would have one distance and one pace to insert into my training log. But today! Oh Yes, today I have an overall distance, and SIX individual runs and paces to notate!

My workout pales in comparison to some of the suffer-fests that you all subject yourselves to on a weekly basis, but it was my first, so give me a break!

After a 1.25 mile warm up, my workout consisted of 6x400m sprints separated by 400m cool down runs. Because of the short distance, I assume these type of runs are recorded by time and not by pace, but given that I was using the Garmin, I recorded everything as pace per mile.

My 6 runs ended up as: 9:33, 7:00, 7:03, 7:17, 7:05 and 7:29 pace per mile. Total distance including warm up and cool down was 4.5 miles.

I was actually surprised to see how slow I was on my first 400, but pleased to see that the following 5 were fairly consistent. I think I had to get a feel for how hard I could push myself and remain consistent throughout the distance. While the runs were difficult, I didn't go all out. I also didn't feel like I was moving very fast, although I felt that possibly, if I ran any harder, I might not finish the 400 strong. So for now, I'll just go by feel and be happy that I'm still out there trying to get better.

With my trail runs building strong legs and the speedwork teaching me leg turn-over and taxing my cardiovascular system, I should be making improvements in several ways. Next week I'm scheduled for a tempo run, then speedwork again the week after.

Tomorrow I'm scheduled for strength training and a 3 mile run. 3 miles??? Is that all? Friday is another easy run, Saturday rest and Sunday either a 5k simulation race or 6 mile easy.

Sunday we are leaving for another short excursion... Soap Lake. Hmmm. It's suppose to have healing powers. Sounds like we will be very clean after swimming in it! Well, if not, it looks cool, shady and will be a new place to run. Will post pictures when we get back.

Everyone, enjoy your weekend!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Hollyfish said...

The thing I like most about speedwork is finishing it. I always feel like such an ATHLETE when I get done with such hard efforts. And it's TOTALLY paying off.. keep it up!!

11:30 AM  
Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

The two biggest benefits of speedwork is that it makes you faster and it teaches you how to pace.

Putting in the time on the track once a week or so is one of the best things an endurance athlete can do.

Have a fun and safe time at the lake.

Stay tuned...

1:22 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

I've always been afraid to try speedwork... but now it's part of "the plan", so gotta do it. It's time I try.

It did make me feel pretty good when during my workout, two other people came and did their runs around the track and left... I was still out there pumping out 400's! :)

6:26 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Jeez. That's some awesome speedwork. I need to start doing those. Have fun at Soap Lake. What a cool name for a lake. Is it actually soapy? That's cool it's supposed to have healing powers.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home