Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sunday Long Run

Today was my long run day. Not too far compared to what some of you do, but my 7 miles was the longest non-race run I've done to date.

I chose to run on the Columbia Plateau Trail, a paved rail trail, because it allowed me to do two out and back runs from the trail head. I timed it so I returned to the trail head at about mile 4.5 to use the restroom and fill my water bottle. The other benefit to this trail is that about half of it is shady.

The best part of the run was helping a turtle get back to where he belonged. I'm actually pretty sure the turtle knew exactly where he was going, heading down the dry, rocky ditch and away from the cool stream that follows the trail. But, I thought he'd be happier back in the water, so I took a second to put Mr. Turtle back over on the wet side of the trail. Off he went on his turtle way.

All in all, the run today wasn't too difficult. My legs felt very tired and heavy, which is probably a result of missing several running days, but I just pushed through it.

Yesterdays 3.5 mile run was a real killer. I almost quit at mile two, but refused to give in. Lower abdominal cramping forced me to walk several times, but I'd feel better after a little bit and continue on.

I'll blame my competitive nature for the sore knee that I'm nursing at the moment. The other day, I took the Jeep in to get an oil change, took my bike and rode it home after dropping the car off. Aside from some leisurely spins on my mountain bike, I haven't ridden since my last triathlon. Upon leaving the mechanics parking lot, I meet up with a guy on a mountain bike heading the same direction I was. He was on the sidewalk and I was riding in the bike lane.

He was about 50 feet in front of me, and of course, my immediate goal was to catch up with him. I started spinning, but didn't seem to be making any headway on him. Crap! My carbon fiber steed and I should be blowing by this guy and his knobby tires! Ok... lets put a little more effort into it... all while maintaining the upright posture of someone who's pretending not to be trying. La de da, de da... here I am.. out for a Sunday ride... oh good, I passed that sucker! Well, he didn't much like that, and stood up and sprinted out ahead of me and turned at the next corner and went on his way.

When I got home, I realized that the muscle (?) on the inside of my knee was quite sore. Fortunately, it doesn't hurt to walk or run... just to stand from a sitting position or visa versa. So... I'm trying not to stress it. Today's run didn't make it any worse, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Tomorrow is Strength and Stretching day, followed by 4 miles on Tuesday and speedwork on Wednesday.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Hope your knee feels better soon! Take it easy with all that riding and running. Sounds like a good workout. Watch out for those guys with the knobby tires! They have something to prove! I hate getting passed on the bike, however, which I'm getting more used to around here.

10:47 PM  
Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Are you noticing how your fitness is improving? Maaan, I love reading about your progress. Keep working and train smart.

Stay tuned...

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home