Monday, October 02, 2006

Bikes And Braces

The day started off well enough. It began with a quick 3.5 mile run on the dirt trail out back. I immediately noticed that my pace was a little quicker than would be normal for these somewhat rough trail conditions. I credited my last 10 mile long run for making me feel stronger on this shorter run.

Next up for the day was a quick, but depressing trip to the orthodontist. I've been wearing Invisaline teeth aligners for the last 2 1/2 years. (I think I've set some kind of record!) It's not that my teeth were all that crooked... I just had one tooth that didn't line up with the rest... the proverbial "fang". It's taken all this time to move my molars back far enough to make room to move the "fang" into place... and right now, after 2 1/2 years... it's not bad. Not perfect, but one hell of a lot better than I lived with for the first 42 years of my life!


I knew this was going to be a long process, but the beauty of the Invisaline system was that I didn't have to wear 2 years of metal braces. Anything! As long as I didn't have to wear braces! Well.... so much for that! Doc has informed me that "as we had previously discussed" (I'm sure I would have remembered being present at this conversation) I would need to be in braces at the end of this process to finish it up. Crap! But ya know... what am I gonna do? Certainly not throw the last 2 1/2 years away! Suck it up Buttercup and open wide!

I'm thinking, my teeth look so darn good now (comparatively) how long could it take to do the final few tweaks? How about 4-6 months ? And that's just for the friggin' top! Since I have an overbite, the bottoms have to be done after that! Aarrgg!

I go back in three weeks to get a mouthful of titanium, but until then, I'm enjoying my dental freedom!

Next on the agenda... bike shopping! I don't know if Urs is seriously in the market for a recumbent, but it never hurts to look at what's shiny and new! Even though she has always told me that a person only needs one bike (I know, friggin' crazy person thinking!) I would understand if she chose to change her position on the matter. :) It kind of works out really good for me. The recumbents are a lot of fun, but I probably wouldn't buy one for myself. But, if she bought one, I could ride it whenever I wanted! Thus, it'd be like I got a new bike also! The only thing better than shopping for a new bike is buying and riding a new bike.

Here's a photo of the current rig under consideration. Looks like a chopped Schwinn! Very plush, very comfortable and really fun!


The day finished up with Urs and I bike riding on the Centennial Trail, a paved path that parallels the Spokane River. Once again, it was fun to share with her one of the beautiful places to ride that she was never healthy enough to access before.

She also came to the realization that since she was now able to complete a 12 mile bike ride, she would be able to complete a triathlon! I think completing a triathlon with her would be the highlight of my year... and I think hers also! What do you all think? Is there room for another Triathlete in this world?

1 Comments:

Blogger TriZilla said...

A Triathlon!! What a great idea!

That's so great that you are able to share biking (and running) together now. It makes such a huge difference.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home