Monday, October 16, 2006

Spokane Half Marathon

We had not seen a drop of rain in months, but Sunday morning started with a downpour. By the time I reached the starting line, the sky had lightened and the rain had stopped. With the temperature in the mid 50's and everything wet and clean from the rain, it turned out to be a perfect day for a long run.

The race started at Riverfront Park in downtown Spokane, the site of Expo '74. The first couple of miles snaked though one of the city's older, and at the turn of the century, most affluent neighborhoods, Brown's Addition. The streets in front of the huge Victorian homes are lined with maple trees, now in various shades of red, yellow and orange.

By mile five, we had entered Riverside State Park, a forested area running along the Spokane River. The next four miles were run mainly on the Centennial Trail, a paved path that runs through the park. The trail snaked around through the trees, often within sight of the river. Even with it's hills, it was the best part of the course!

At mile nine came Doomsday Hill, the 1/2 mile stretch I was most dreading. The previous three hills had been pretty difficult for me, and I told myself that if I just kept going, I would allow myself to walk up Doomsday Hill. Knowing that my fast walk is just a bit slower than my jog, I didn't feel too bad about wanting to walk it. I had been pacing off a gal in front of me, and over the length of the hill, I only lost about 75 feet to her. So my fast walk was almost as fast as her up hill run.

At mile 11 came the only section of dirt road on the course. At this point in the race, I found the gravel very difficult to run on. I was afraid that my tired legs would betray me and not lift my feet high enough, causing me to stumble.

It was along this last stretch that I saw the most beautiful view of Spokane I have ever seen. The road we were on ran along the top of a deep river canyon. The sides of the canyon are filled with deciduous trees ablaze in their autumn colors. Looking further up the canyon I could see downtown Spokane, which is built up on either side of the river around a series of water falls.

While I was struck by the beauty before me, I was also motivated knowing that I could almost see the finish line. I could see the Maple St. Bridge, and beyond that, the Monroe St. Bridge. I knew the finish line was back at the park, just beyond the bridges.

Hey! Wait a minute! Why are we turning away from the park? The finish line is THAT way! Just when I was mentally set to finish this thing, we turned away from the park and ran a few blocks through a little business area. (How did I never notice this street was uphill?)

Finally! The course entered the park, crossed the river two more times and then came the finish line! It wasn't pretty, but I'm happy with my 2:13:47 time. I felt the course was much more challenging than the Coeur d' Alene Half, where I ran a 2:08. I'm also 10 pounds heavier, which truly felt like I was carrying a sack of flour with me the whole race. (I'm going to be working on that!)

This race is well run, very scenic and because of the time of year, the weather usually promises to be nice and cool. I think a more descriptive name for the race would be the Over The River And Through The Woods Marathon. I know, that's a mouthful!

I look forward to running this course again next year.

4 Comments:

Blogger TriZilla said...

Great job, and great finish!

It sounds like a BEAUTIFUL course - Might have to put that on the list!

I'm fighting 10 lbs too... Seems like the last little bit is the hardest.

Congrats!

6:29 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

Barb,

Good job on those hills. It was a magnificant race and a great day.

Sorry we missed each other.

7:08 AM  
Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Now that's a good race review. The course sounds beautiful too. Good job on those hills.

Stay tuned...

6:00 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Rock on Barb! Stellar race.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home