Wednesday, November 08, 2006

One More Goal

Ok, so the 2006 race season is over. I think most people are assessing their year and already planning the next one. During the review of my 2006 training log, I realized that I had one more goal to reach... and that is the 1000 mile mark. I rode my bike very little this year (350 miles compared to over 1000 miles last year!), and I've run just over 500 miles... adding the two together puts me about 150 miles shy of 1000 miles for the year. A nice round number to end the year on.

1000 miles should be very do-able, assuming I can get in consistent 20 mile weeks. I say this as I sit here with an ice pack on my leg due to shin splints. I should have known better. I've been doing lots of short duration speed work lately. Until I reach my 1000 mile mark, I think I'll go back to long, slow distance.

www.Routeslip.com

I wanted to pass along this cool new mapping program I recently learned about. It's quick and simple to use, but what really sets it apart from other mapping programs is that it maps the elevation of your ride/run. I plan to use it to map the bike and run courses of races. Knowing the elevation changes will help me better prepare during my training.

Here is a screen shot of one of the bike rides I do near my home. The starting point (my house)is the green dot near the bottom of the picture. All you big city kids can see how dinky the town is where I live.

Here is the elevation map that comes up after the route is saved. Some of my routes differ in difficulty depending upon which direction I ride them. The elevation chart makes this very obvious. (not so much on this particular chart.)

The site owner has noted that his service provider can barely handle his site traffic, which can cause some problems during high use times. He is working to improve this situation, but overall, I've had very few problems using the site.

Glad to see everyone got out and voted! :)

3 Comments:

Blogger TriZilla said...

(scratching head)

(blink blink)

Um, err, did you change your title? Or am I going nuts? :) I'm thinking the latter is more probable than the former, but I just had to check.

1000 miles, go, go, GO! That's fantastic! Icing helps the shin, but also stretching that calf too helps a bunch. Hope it heals soon!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

That sounds like a very cool site - thanks for the link!

I also wish you well on your journey to 1000 miles and trust that the shin splint issues will fade and dissipate. I got them years ago when I would dramatically increase my running milage. Limiting that increase to 10% or less of the previous week resolved my issues.

Perhaps that is something to consider.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Good luck on reaching 1000 miles. I know you can do it.

The great thing about little towns is (well, lots of things but here's 2): a) the biking b) the community. We people in big towns spend a lot of time driving to small towns for the biking and sense of community. I just thought it was ironic that we put gas in the car to drive to a small town east of San Diego this morning to enjoy a bike ride.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home