Wednesday, November 22, 2006

This Day In 1963

"John F. Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963. Kennedy's
assassination is considered to be a defining moment in US history due to its traumatic impact on the nation as well as on the political history of the ensuing decades, his subsequent branding as an icon for a new generation of Americans and American aspirations, and for the mystery and conspiracy allegations which surround it." Wikipedia.org

Yes, it was a tragic day for the Kennedy family and for the Country. It is one of those events that everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when they heard the terrible news. This applies to my parents.

I'll skip the details and give you the abridged version. Mother was upset at hearing of Kennedy's death, father comforts mother, father continues to comfort mother, father moves in a little close and continues to comfort mother... and guess what? A little baby girl is born exactly 9 months later. Ta Da! Guess who?

So, while it was a day of national sadness, I would not be here were it not for JFK's untimely passing.

I know... it's one of those weird little Barb factoids that you could most probably have lived without knowing, and most likely wish you had quit reading several paragraphs earlier. But, how many people know the day of their conception, let alone one that accompanied such an infamous event?

5 Comments:

Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said...

I was in my First Grade classroom, when the announcement was mad. We were sent home, and I knew it was a bad thing. My mom was crying when I got home. My dad was in the service and was put on alert.
A sad day for the country.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

I was 12 years old at time and can, like you said, remember precisely what I was doing in school at that time.

I can also remember getting ready for church on the following Sunday and for some reason, we had the television on. We watched as Lee Harvey Oswald was brought out by the authorities and sat transfixed, as a family, as Jack Ruby shot Oswald live on black and white TV.

The entire experience was a memory searing event for this 12 year old.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

ha! Finally, someone who makes ME feel young...hehe. I wasn't born until 6 yrs later. I'm not sure where I was in my previous life at that time. ;)

4:14 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I've heard that people really pull together and er...reproduce...during times of national crisis. I wonder if we will have another baby boom because of 9/11?

4:50 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

OMG! That is....funny? I think? :)

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home