Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Latest

I've been busy with all kinds of fun happenings, but I thought I'd better make a post before my blogger faithful dis-owned me.

Most important is probably the fact that Urs and I have put our gluttonous holiday season behind us and are back to consistent work outs. It has remained well below freezing for several days, reaching -11 one night, so we are most happy to spend our time on our treadmill. Haven't gone swimming since sometime around Thanksgiving. It's difficult to get very excited about getting wet and cold when it's snowy and cold every day. Fortunately, the swim is probably my strongest event, and it shouldn't take me long to get back into the swing of things come spring.

I got my newest bike back from the shop yesterday. Betty looks really nice as a 40x17 single speed. My initial intent was to put a bull horn handle bar on her with bar end aero brakes, but I'm waiting to see how much I enjoy riding her before I put any more money into her. For the time being, I've put a flat bar on to make her a comfortable errand speedster. In the end, I've gotten off cheap. Bike $4, one new tire $12, rear cog $20, re-dish rear wheel $20, bringing an old bike back to life.... priceless.

In other triathlon related news... I've signed up to go to a seminar by Joe Friel, author of one of the most popular triathlon books out there, The Triathletes Training Bible. I felt this was an opportunity that I just couldn't pass up. $65 for a seven hour seminar which includes lunch. Since this is probably the only chance to hear Joe Friel speak, especially here in Spokane, I just couldn't pass it up. Hopefully being immersed in triathlon talk for a whole day will be just what I need to get all excited about this season.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am crying the blues because my Seahawks lost to the Chicago Bears in the NFC playoffs. It was a hard fought game, and I felt my Hawks gave it their all. Somebody's got to lose, and today it was us. As with many people who's teams are now watching the play-offs from their livingrooms, I am now rooting for the New Orleans Saints. I guess being a long time Seahawks fan has me always cheering for the underdog. I'd love to see the Saints make it to the Superbowl for the first time in franchise history!!!

Ok, the final bit of exciting news. Urs and I have booked a cruise to the Mexican Riviera! It's not until October, but I'm sure the time will fly! This will be our first time on a cruise, so any words of advice will be welcomed. (We have already started our "must pack" list and a "don't forget" list). We had been seriously considering cruising the Alaska Inside Passage, but when we got our latest Olivia catalog, a company specializing in women's only vacations, they advertised the Mexico cruise as their 100th! We know this is going to be a party to top all parties and we knew this was the one for us! We've already checked out the shore excursions, and the one we really want to do is Swim With Dolphins in Puerto Vallarta. That would be a once in a lifetime opportunity!

So, there it is. Just about one more month left for us to goof off and enjoy the easy life. With the spring thaw comes lots of work around the campground. We're looking forward to it.

2 Comments:

Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Schweet bike, Barb.

I bet you'll love the Mexican Riviera. It's one of my favorite places to vacation.

Stay tuned...

6:50 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Lots of fun stuff.

I'm so jealous about your clinic with Joe Friel. He's like the Yoda of triathlon. I love his training bible.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home